Saturday, March 30, 2013

On Top of the World

 

So here I sit, in my new studio, it seems like a bizarre dream. Things happened so fast, and yet it still felt like an eternity to get to this point. I can still remember clearly talking to Sara at a birthday party and she said “I’ve always wanted to open a studio downtown with another photographer.”  The sentence that would change the course of both our lives. Surely she didn’t think I wouldn’t take that seriously? Then we thought, “hey let’s throw in another person, a cosmetologist, cut down on rent and really offer people an experience when they get pictures. Hair, makeup, pictures and fun girls? What could be better than that?” (The answer is nothing, nothing is better than that, because we ARE fun girls).

Thus began the journey of finding “our spot” and facing disappointment after disappointment. Just when we were ready to throw in the towel and conclude that maybe a downtown studio wasn’t in our cards, we went back to one of the very first spaces we looked at it, and knew that was the one after all. That was 2 weeks ago, fast forward MANY long days and late nights, dust and nails and paint and wood………..and here we are; on the cusp of a new journey, a new adventure, a new dream, so excited (and tired, REALLY tired, it’s been a long 2weeks). We are so ready to take this place, The Studio El Dorado, and make it a amazing. A place that people will stop by and hang out for a bit, a place that makes people feel beautiful, a place that captures moments in time for families, a place that our children can come to and build childhood memories in. A place that is ours, where hopes and dreams are coming to fruition, all because 2 girls who barely knew each other talked at a birthday party.

As I sit here, in my studio (that makes me giggle every time I say it) I’m listening to the Imagine Dragons song “On Top of the World” and the lyrics couldn’t be more fitting for our situation. (They must be, they inspired me to blog for the first time since December!!!)

‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can

And I am, on top of the world, and you better believe this smile couldn’t get any bigger!!

photo

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Amy! So happy for you. Best of luck on this new journey!

    ReplyDelete