Monday, August 27, 2012

Move it Monday…..and some other stuff……

I am writing this during naptime except……………..there is no naptime. That’s right my friends, I am willingly sacrificing Harper’s nap in hopes that she will start sleeping again at night. For the past month, girlfriend will wake up for 2 hours straight in the middle of the night and be wide freaking awake! At first it was like once a week, then a couple times a week, now it is almost a nightly thing. Sometimes she cries and wants to sleep with us (ummmmm, no) but mostly she just stays in her room and reads to her baby or sings (very annoying, I had to go in last night and tell her to keep it down so we could sleep). At first I was all:

“Hey you want to act like you are Whitney freakin’ Houston in the middle of the night, go right ahead, Mama is gonna sleep.”

But now I realize that this probably isn’t healthy for her. Call me crazy but I am pretty sure doctors and experts would agree that children need that little thing called sleep to help them grow and function in life.

So I am going to attempt this no-nap biznass to see if this will help at night. As much as I love (love, love, love) naptime, I love my sleep at night more. Plus it’s really affecting my morning runs…..as in I don’t make it to them when my child has been up from 2-4 a.m. and my alarm is set at either 3:45 a.m. or 4:10. Now that we are getting into the more crucial weeks of training, I just can’t afford to miss my runs. If anyone has any other ideas on how to get my child to sleep at night please pass it along. I have thought/tried everything…..well except drugging her, but even that has crossed my mind (oh please, like you wouldn’t think about doing that after having to hear your daughter sing Head Shoulders Knees and Toes for the millionth time at 3 a.m.?)

During nap today…..she was super mellow, thought she might fall asleep……

Nope! Apparently the urge to play beauty parlor and style Barbie’s hair was greater than the urge to sleep. Welcome to life with this child.

Moving on…………..

We are starting week 6 of half marathon training. This past weekend we had 9 miles. We knew ahead of time that there was a pretty good chance of storms Saturday morning so our coach had already set up a back-up plan which meant……………treadmills (dun, dun, dun).

All night Friday night and into Saturday morning, I would wake up and listen for rain and thunder, and never heard anything. My alarm went off at 5:10 a.m. and still I heard nothing.

“Ha! Take that treadmills!” I thought to myself as I put in my contacts, and not even 2 seconds later I heard the rumbling of thunder.

“Somma-a-bitch!” Well played mother nature, well played.

And then not 2 seconds after that…….torrential downpour.

I drove to the park in the rain and crazy ass lightening trying to mentally prepare myself for what lay ahead. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, it definitely wasn’t going to be pretty, and loss of life was a threat……….but somehow I would try to survive…………the dreadmill.

We all met at the park and once everyone was there, we went to the Y to start our torture run. And it wasn’t easy, I wasn’t pretty, but guess what? Nobody died! SUCCESS!

I shouldn’t even complain, the full marathoners only got in 2 miles outside before it started storming so they had to do 18 inside!!! Now that is dedication folks! They were in good spirits though, laughing and joking……..actually they were probably just delirious now that I think about it.

treadmill2.jpg

Image

 

told ya it wasn’t pretty.

You just never know what the weather is going to do living in good ol’ Kansas, so we have to be prepared for anything and luckily we have access to the Y so we can still get our run in.

I didn’t get to run today (see first 3 paragraphs), so hopefully this no nap thing works and I am able to go tomorrow. One new thing that I have added to my weekly workouts is spin class………..LOVE IT!! Holy hell I have never sweat so much in my life, but it’s awesome. The first few times I went, I had so much sweat pouring down my face, I kept snorting it in my nose and I just knew I was going to f-ing drown. Now I wear a bandana (straight gangsta yo!) to absorb all that mess. I am also considering doing a tabata class starting in September. Tabata is similar to cross-fit, it’s high intensity interval training. Not sure if I would burn myself out doing Tabata 3 times a week in addition to my run training, so we will see. Ooookay, now I feel like I am just rambling.

In other news…………Snooki had her baby…….let’s all pause for a moment to imagine that shit show going on in her house right now. I give her a month before she takes her baby to the tanning salon followed by a trip to the local bar for some shots and fist pumping. NzzzzzzNzzzzzzzNzzzz (that’s my techno music making sound).

Happy week everyone!

 

Linking up with Ashley at the domestic wannabe!!

2 comments:

  1. harper is adorable! and good luck on the running:)
    hope you have a great weekend!
    p.s. i'm your newest follower :)

    xo brie
    www.sophistifunkblog.com

    ReplyDelete