Saturday, July 21, 2012

HMT….week 1

That’s half marathon training, for those of you who can’t figure it out. Mainly because I am too lazy to spell it out……wait I just did, didn’t I? Fail.

Today was our first group run for training. We met at the late hour of 6 a.m. (seriously 6 is late when you are used to 5 a.m. bootcamp and 4 a.m. runs with the ladies…and one dude.) Our fearless leader, B, was there to greet all of us. However, unlike last year, she would not be running with us, having a baby will do that to you. Never fear, she will be back as soon as she has the go-ahead from the doctor!

Originally (as in my last blog post) I had stated that I planned on running in the faster pace group, but upon arriving today and looking at the people in that group, I crapped my pants, I decided that maybe I should go in the middle group for now. Yes, yes, I know I already put it out there on the interwebs that I was doing the faster pace, and yes I realize that makes me look like a total loser, but I was sooooo scared that group would kick my a$% and I would be the very last person to come in from the run and that looking like a loser on my blog was a lot worse than looking like a loser in front of the running group. Gasp, that was a long sentence, my 8th grade English teacher would have a fit over that!!

But, I digress.

The run went well at the beginning, we had 5 miles, but I made the mistake of stopping to drink some water at the halfway point and then my muscles were all like:

“Yes!! We are done running, let’s get all crampy and tired now.”

So when I started running again, they were all like:

“Ahhh! What the hell is she doing to us? I thought we were done, we will show her.”

So the 2nd half was not so great. I was pretty disappointed in myself (and my muscles……jerks), but it was the first run of the training season and I learned my lesson: don’t stop to drink water unless you are near death.

I am not even sure on my time. I don’t have a Garmin and I didn’t even check the time on my phone when we left and when we came back. My main focus was 1. not dying and 2. not being last. Success!!

I am excited to see what this training brings, I DO want to push myself. I would like to eventually move up to the faster group, but right now I need to get back in the rhythm of longer distances (up until now I have only been doing about 3 miles) and then work on my speed.

I love this running “family” there is nothing better than being on that long run……being tired and hot, cussing out your legs who have decided to turn against you, praying for just a SMALL breeze to cool you off, swallowing bugs and watching out for sasquatch…….. and passing others on the path and hearing them say “good job guys” or “lookin’ good, almost there.” That’s what is great about this group; yes we are all there to get better, and be faster and more effective, but we are also there to cheer each other on and give support (and lots of laughs) when it’s needed.

So to all my running group: I look forward to spending the next 12 (sweaty and sometimes brutal) weeks with you.

To the new kids on the block: welcome to the cult (just kidding………sort of), we are glad you are here. You are going to do great things and achieve great things in the coming weeks.

And to the other peeps, who have “been there, done that,” here is to another successful training season. I look forward to making many more memories (and jokes) with you. (Except you Chris Oliver, you I want to trip.)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
--John Bingham

(2012 Full/Half Marathon Training Group)

No comments:

Post a Comment